Saturday 26 October 2013

Not working anymore: My first post is about .... My new Raspberry PI setup, running OpenVPN, ssh and murmur (mumble server)

 This will be my first blog post ever :O, so bear with me in this experiment.

I bought a Raspberry PI a year ago, though it took me nearly 8 months to start it for the first time.

My current setup is what one would call, unnecessary complicated.
Due to the lack of a 4 GB SD card I decided to install the OS on a 4GB USB stick and use a 512 MB SD  card. Also I don't want to connect it to a screen, so I decided to install BerryBoot on the SD card and enable vnc remote management (with the router handing out a static IP) headless BerryBoot.

This worked very well, and allowed me to install Debian on the USB stick.

I got Debian running with remote login via ssh and murmur. Though it didn't want to upgrade properly and I couldn't get openvpn to work properly.

Therefore I deleted the Debian installation and installed Arch Linux through Berryboot (image from http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi), using these instructions which in short and updated are:

sudo kpartx -av archlinux-hf-2013-07-22.img
sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p5 /mnt
cd /mnt
sudo rm lib
sudo mv usr/lib lib
cd usr
sudo ln -s ../lib lib
cd /tmp
sudo mksquashfs /mnt Arch_Linux.img240 -comp lzo -e lib/modules
sudo umount /mnt 
sudo kpartx -d /dev/loop0


I made the Arch_Linux.img240 image on my Linux Mint system and copied it to a different USB stick, such that I could use the custom operating system in BerryBoot option.

This worked perfectly and I now had a system running Arch Linux.
I got rid of the root user, and added a normal user with access to run sudo.

Now I went ahead and installed murmur (mumble server) which runs, though it gives a warning at startup related to the qt4 package:

Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"

In order to get it to work with openvpn, iptables needs to be configured:

sudo iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 64738 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 64738 -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables-save > /etc/iptables/iptables.rules

The last line is to save the rules such that they are persistent on reboot.

Openvpn was set up according to NyxBox – OpenVPN Server on Raspberry Pi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment